Monday, October 3, 2016

Gamification

If you have been following my blog you know I took a big leap this year and decided to completely gamify my classroom.  I had quite a bit of knowledge about overall game design due to the courses I currently teach (Game Design, Foundations, and Programming) but I had to look at those principles from a totally new point of view.  I did extensive online research, read several books on gamification both in education and business and had discussions with the students about their preferences.  I had the students assist me with mechanics and what type of badges they would personally be interested in, I created leader boards and we ran with it first thing this school year. 

Gamification in my classroom has been a great success so far.  I've already awarded several badges and I've even had a few students already pursuing "side quests" on their own.  I believe the feedback they get from receiving the badges and seeing their XP go up on the leader boards has contributed to the students motivation but it is more than that.  Showing the students the leader boards, giving little prizes, and building a culture that allows the students to have choice in what they do.  Gamification alone is not enough but it's a great step to add to the positive environment I am trying to build.  Getting excited when the students go above and beyond, showing interest in their interests, and treating the students with respect is responsible for as much of the classroom success as the gamification itself is.

The gamification process itself was difficult to begin.  A lot of time and planning went into its implementation and I've made a lot of adjustments through trial and error.  With the positive response I received from the students and their improved quality of work I decided to move forward with a new business venture- Gamification Consulting!  I had considered consulting for quite a while (I do have my doctorate after all) but I was torn about what I wanted to consult in.  Gamification consulting will allow me to help other teachers and school districts successfully gamify their classrooms and see similar results to what I have achieved.  As part of the gamification training I want to offer I will also cover how to build a growth mindset culture, cater to 21st century skills, and the importance of building mutual respect and trust with students.  Below is the vision I have in mind along with the services I will offer. 

My vision is to help teachers accomplish their goals of increased student engagement and improved 21st century skills while catering to a growth mindset.  I want classrooms I work with to become fun, collaborative environments where students take ownership of their own learning through a competitive game that encourages students to go above and beyond on every assignment in a new way.
  • Consulting and training:
    • Summer teacher workshops
    • Summer leadership workshops- school and district leadership
    • One on one teacher training
    • One on one leadership training
  • Standard gamification packages that can be used within multiple subjects.  Includes: classroom game mechanics, badges, and leader board templates.
  • Custom gamification packages based on subject area.

No comments:

Post a Comment