Thursday, May 28, 2015

Outside the Box

The most recent reading I was given in my 5W's training involves reading about the Finnish education system. After reading the article it was easy to see how far behind the U.S. is on thinking outside the box.  In Finland the focus is on the student, their learning, and their progress.  There is NO standardized testing (until the senior year) which allows more flexibility to cater to the students needs and interests.  The teachers in the article say: We know more about our students than what that test can show...so true.  Students do not get left behind, forgotten, or overlooked.  Teachers are required to have masters degrees and the government pays for them (and teachers get paid a reasonable amount yet are in the classroom less hours than U.S. teachers).  There is an emphasis on students getting outdoors; lessons are able to be done outdoors (even in classes like math). Finally, teachers have students for 6 or more years sometimes so they can bond, build relationships and trust, and know what the student wants and needs out of their learning.


It makes me think of how lucky I am to be going to a school that does allow me flexibility to really improve my teaching, classroom, and student relationships (nothing is possible without those relationships in my opinion).  Unfortunately it also makes me think of how poor so many initiatives are that a lot of Florida (and the U.S.) are currently doing (in my humble opinion).  Increased standardized testing, 27 page frameworks for an introductory course instead of allowing flexibility, curriculum maps that require teachers to stay on track with little flexibility, and so much more.  Districts don't like to use the word "pacing guides" yet they want teachers to say when they'll teach what throughout the year and how they'll do it...sounds like a pacing guide to me!   I would rather there be an outline of broader standards like Finland that allows flexibility for a student that goes faster to do so or that needs more time in an area to do so (along with some freedom to cater to that's students interests).


I am glad to be passionate about teaching and feel it is important I have masters and am earning a doctorate (although it does mean HUGE student loans...eek).  I think the focus on better educated teachers that want to be in their jobs and are passionate about it would make a bigger difference and a better teacher than any of the previously mentioned initiatives.  Alas, this is not the case in the U.S. currently.  I am not sure school districts fully understand how contradictory their efforts are (personalize learning and do project based assignments but wait! Cover all standards and pass this standardized test that requires the student to be taught to it with little flexibility).  Perhaps one day things will be different but for now I am truly thankful for the flexibility I have in my classroom this coming school year and I truly wish every teacher who is passionate about their job gets that type of opportunity some day.


If you want to read more about Finnish education check out the link to the article below:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/why-are-finlands-schools-successful-49859555/#ixzz1eMID6Lni

No comments:

Post a Comment