Friday, May 20, 2016

I'm proud of myself...

The words "I'm proud of myself" should be what every teacher strives to hear from his/her students.  As my students finish up their final culminating game build I heard those words a few times and nothing could make me happier.  Not because I felt like I did a good job or I taught them well but because it means I allowed the students to take charge of their own learning and do things for themselves.  Had I of given the students step by step instructions and a strict guildeline I don't think I would have heard those words.  After all- handing someone answers doesn't mean they'll ever be able to do it for themselves; let alone feel pride in what they accomplished.  Working through issues, getting stuck and turning things around, problem solving, and coming out with a viable product fosters pride.

I'll post a dropbox link to some of the students games soon but those words "I'm proud of myself" make me proud to be a teacher.  I don't need validation of my teaching skills or for my students to think I am all-knowing (because I certainly am not) but I do need to know that my students feel comfortable, proud, and confident in my class.  While I cover standards and follow certain rules none of those are my ultimate goal.   My ultimate goal is to know my students are thinking for themselves, making their own conclusions based on facts, and keeping an open mind to new learning experiences. All in all I'd say this school year has been a success on all those counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment