Thursday, May 19, 2016

Final Exams

It's that time of year again and final exams are coming!  While preparing my final exams it is important to me to test actual learning and not my students ability to make a guess based on four possible answer choices (i.e. multiple choice questions).  I am designing my finals around project based learning just like lessons.  No standardized testing will be used as I don't believe you can can judge a goldfish on its ability to fly.  It is however important to ask- what have my students really learned this year?

Students will need to demonstrate overall game design knowledge by creating a game on exam day- similar to a quick game jam.  Students will have choice in the theme and type of game with several options to choose from.  I am also having students choose one area to show me advanced learning in which needs to be game related and based on their career interests.  Students can choose things like creating 3D models in Blender, 2D models in Photoshop, concept art using digital tablets, coding samples in notepad ++, business requirement and architecture documents, etc.  There will be a few question based items as well that require the students to think like game designers.  I am hoping for successful exam days and wish all the students good luck! I am excited to see the differences in what students come up with which will hopefully all display learning- just in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment